Sunday 30 August 2015

0

Good Bye and See You Again!

This post is the third and final part of my internship experience series. If you haven't, please check out the first and second parts beforehand!

The past five weeks went by really fast. Every restless day was filled with joy, laughter, sweet memories, but also stress, tiredness, and challenges. It all feels like I just started this internship a week ago! It is now time for me to start a new chapter in life and go back to being a student. :)

Those Who Can, Do; Those Who Can't, Teach.

I am reminded of this famous quote about teachers. The first time I came across it I thought I misread it, but no. It means that those who are capable of doing something well, can do it for a living; while those are not capable of doing anything that well, make a living by teaching.

I have to admit that my experience in the past five months have made me realise that my brain has become dull. (Or hopefully I'm just overworried! Haha.) I find myself unable to do certain tricky questions that are meant for gr10 students, which leaves me quite embarrassed as a maths graduate. (T_T) I don't know if that's because I've been exposed to so many deeper concepts at university that I tend to overcomplicate things and fail to see how simple a question might be, or my brain has simply become dull.

This leaves me quite worried as I am about to start my Master's study and this time it will be really tough, no joke. Imperial College London is no game. But at least this time it will be a course that I genuinely enjoy and like. I'm gonna use the remaining time I have left to really prepare for the course. Please wish me luck!

Back to topic, I am left questioning a teaching career. To me, teaching is actually a very difficult job. Those who have kids at home may find two kids already troublesome. How can teachers handle more than 20 kids in a classroom? Not only that, they have to engage those kids so they will be interested to listen to them and able to utilise their thinking skills in class.

The principal told me that teaching is not merely about transferring knowledge to our students, but we have to teach them how to think. They need to see the thinking process behind it all. We can't just give them the answers.

Yes, teaching takes certain skills and characteristics. Not everyone can do it. But why does the aforementioned quote imply that teachers are no good at anything?

Surely teaching is one of the most important occupations in life. At this stage I still don't know whether I make a good teacher. I am introverted by nature and so find it hard to make eye contact with my students, or try to engage them in class. This is an area that I still need to improve. Other than that, communicating what I have in mind to other people is a huge challenge for me. Some people say I tend to overthink and my way of thinking is too complicated, which makes me worried I won't make a good enough school teacher.

I really think that teachers are people who can. They can make kids sit down and listen for 30 mins or more. They can help kids utilise their abilities in the best way possible. They can nurture kids to behave well and become good people. They can make a difference. And they can do it all very well.

Can I?

Leaving People I Love Behind...

Many people asked me how I felt. Was I sad? Was I indifferent? Well, I certainly had mixed feelings. I've just started to get used to my colleagues and students here, but now I have to leave them. T_T On the other hand, I'm also excited to return to the UK. So..... It's hard for me to say!

I'm gonna miss going to school with some teachers and staff. One of them likes to knit and I enjoy watching her knit some really beautiful patterns in the car. I'm gonna miss morning greetings with my colleagues. I'm gonna miss exchanging ideas with other teachers. I'm gonna miss scolding and having fun with my students. I'm gonna miss helping my students with their work, where I also get to learn new things from them. I'm gonna miss after school tutorials with my hilarious students. I'm really gonna miss this school very much!

The teachers and staff in this school are very friendly I feel so close to them even though I've only known them for 5 weeks, or I've known them before but wasn't very close to them. I'm glad for their kindness and for teaching me something new everyday.

My gr10 students are the sweetest. I really hope I could see them again next year! Though I guess they would be even more difficult to handle. Haha. My gr12 students will have graduated next year but hopefully if some of them go to university in the UK we'll be able to meet in September 2016. :) I wish them all the best with their study! Please do not contact me to ask for help... Kidding! Please stay in touch! I'll spare some time to help you guys. ^_^

However, I also feel relieved in that I'm finished with my internship. Working is really the toughest stage in my life so far. I wish I could stay a student all my life! Lucky I still have one year of study. Hehe. Surely what I experienced now is still far from what it's like for full-fledged teachers, so I know I'm not ready for when I have to work next year. It sure will be very tiring and stressful. But hopefully I'll be able to enjoy it!

I'd like to say thank you to everyone at ACS Jakarta. Every encounter I made with someone taught me something new. I also had to strive through new challenges and problems every week. I am taken aback by how my work life is so dynamic and full of surprises. It's as if my whole life so far was just a breath and I've just started to live! I'm looking forward to returning next year. Please keep in touch and wish me luck with my study! The best is yet to be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment